Concrete, Epoxy & Terrazzo Scrubber & Polishers
Maintaining the appearance of concrete and terrazzo is easy with the Square Scrub Pivot and the 3M Trizact System! Typical concrete and terrazzo polishing processes involve working through many grits of polishing diamonds to close the pores of the floor and restore the gloss. However, the Square Scrub Pivot and the 3M Trizact System is designed with only three steps of diamond polishing and a Stone Protector to seal and protect the stone.
Polished Concrete Floors – These floors have grown in popularity due to their matte finish and ability to stand up to heavy amounts of foot traffic. The concrete is typically treated with a product to harden or densify the surface and then polished to the desired gloss level. However, over time the gloss level will degrade due to traffic on the floor and require polishing to restore it to the desired level.
Terrazzo – Another floor that has grown in popularity for its durability and design flexibility, terrazzo is a floor that requires occasional polishing to restore its gloss. Terrazzo floors are a mixture of colored chips made from marble, granite, quartz, glass, or other materials that are mixed with either epoxy or cement to bind the materials together and then poured in place. Once the floor has cured it is then polished to the desired level of gloss. Like concrete and stone, foot traffic eventually reduces the gloss level to a point restoration is required.
A common question is how many square feet do the materials cover? It is important to remember your results will vary based on many factors, but here are some estimates to work with:
• 3M Trizact Coarse – 14,000 square feet per pad
• 3M Trizact Medium – 11,200 square feet per pad
• 3M Trizact Fine – 6,000 square feet per pad
• Purple Diamond Pad – 8,000 square feet per pad
• Stone Protector 1 gallon – 3,000 square feet
Remember, with the 3M Trizact pads the coverage estimate is the same for one pad on a Doodle Scrub or a series of pads on a Pivot.
or SS EBG-9-BAT
Autoscrubber or Wet/Dry Vacuum
SS EBG-20/C PIVOT
SS EBG-28 PIVOT
or a 5 gal bucket
Bucket on a Stick
1/4″ White Driver
3M Trizact TZ
Coarse – SS TZDGOLD
Medium – SS TZRED
Fine – SS TZBLUE
3M Scotch-Brite Purple Diamond Pad Plus
EBG-20/C PIVOT – SS P1420PD
EBG-28 PIVOT – SS P1428PD
3M Scotchguard Stone Floor Protector
Diamond Strips can be set in rows of 2 or 3.
Steps for Cleaning Concrete & Terrazzo
1. Cover door frames and baseboards and put out wet floor signs.
2. Use a Square Scrub Pivot and Blue Pad or an auto scrubber to clean the floor to prevent foreign debris from contaminating the process.
3. Attach the 3M Traizact TZ Coarse Diamonds in a staggered pattern to a clean White Driver Pad and place it on the grip face. Leave the standard weight stack on the Pivot.
4. Cover the area with water or apply water using the solution tank on the Square Scrub Pivot. Always run the diamonds with plenty of water.
5. Operate the Square Scrub Pivot at 1-foot per second, making three passes over the area, slightly overlapping each pass: 1. North & South 2. East & West 3. Diagonally across the area
6. Use a wet/dry vacuum or an auto scrubber to vacuum the floor (do not engage the brushes on an auto scrubber) and prevent the coarse grits from contaminating the next set of diamonds.
7. Attach the 3M Traizact TZ Medium Diamonds in a staggered pattern to a clean White Driver Pad and place it on the grip face. Remove the weight stack from the Pivot.
8. Repeat the previous 3-pass process with the Medium Diamonds and then vacuum the floor with a wet/dry vacuum or an auto scrubber to prevent medium diamonds from contaminating the next set of diamonds.
9. Attach the 3M Trizact TZ Fine Diamonds in a staggered pattern to a clean White Driver Pad and place it on the grip face. Leave the weight stack off the Pivot.
10. Repeat the 3-pass process with the Fine Diamonds and then scrub or vacuum the floor to prevent medium diamonds from contaminating the next set of diamonds.
11. Vacuum the floor with a wet/dry vacuum or an auto scrubber before moving to the next step.
12. Make 3 passes with the Purple Diamond Pad Plus using either a Square Scrub Pivot or a high-speed burnisher. Do not lay the purple Scotch-Brite pad on a dirty surface to avoid contamination. Once the darker purple layer is gone switch to a new pad.
13. Use the Bucket-on-a-Stick to apply Stone Protector to the floor. Saturate the pad with Stone Protector before applying it across the floor.
14. Allow the Stone Protector 15 to 20 minutes to dry and then repeat the 3-pass polishing step using the Square Scrub Pivot or high-speed burnisher.
15. Repeat the Stone Floor Protector application process.
16. Repeat the 3-pass Purple Diamond Pad Plus process.